If you are selling your Mac or just want to start fresh, you will need to know how to wipe a Macbook. This process will erase everything on your computer.
Checkout this video:
If you’re selling or giving away your Mac, you’ll want to make sure you erase all your personal data and files from the computer. Even if you don’t plan on selling your Mac, it’s a good idea to periodically wipe your computer and start from scratch to declutter your hard drive and improve performance. In this article, we’ll show you how to erase your entire hard drive and reinstall macOS (formerly known as OS X) from scratch.
What you will need
-A clean, lint-free cloth
-Water (distilled is best, but regular tap water is fine)
-Mild dish soap
-Isopropyl alcohol (optional)
How to erase your Macbook
If you’re selling or giving away your Mac, or even if you just want to start from scratch, you’ll need to know how to erase it. When you erase your Mac, all of your files, applications, and settings are permanently deleted. Once your Mac is erased, you’ll need to reinstall macOS or OS X and restore your data from a backup.
You can erase your Mac in two ways: from the Recovery HD or from the command line with the diskutil command. We recommend erasing from the Recovery HD because it’s more straightforward and less likely to cause problems. However, if you can’t start up from the Recovery HD or you want to erase multiple drives (including a boot drive), using diskutil is the way to go.
Before you erase your Mac, make sure you have a backup of your important files. Once your Mac is erased, there is no going back!
##How to erase your Macbook
1. Restart your Mac and hold down Command-R until the Apple logo appears on the screen.
2. When the “macOS Utilities” window appears, choose Disk Utility.
3. Select the volume that you want to erase in the sidebar on the left side of the Disk Utility window.
How to reinstall macOS
If you’re having trouble with your Mac, you can try reinstalling macOS. This will erase your hard drive and reinstall a fresh version of macOS.
Before you begin, be sure to back up your important files. You can use Time Machine to create a backup, or you can copy your files to an external hard drive.
To reinstall macOS, follow these steps:
1. Shut down your Mac.
2. Press and hold the Command (⌘) and R keys on your keyboard, then turn on your Mac. Keep holding the keys until you see an Apple logo or a spinning globe.
3. When the recovery menu appears, click on “Reinstall macOS.”
4. Follow the instructions on screen to reinstall macOS.
How to restore from a backup
If you’re having trouble with your Mac, you can try restoring it from a backup. This will restore your files, settings, and applications to the way they were when you made the backup.
1. First, you’ll need to find your backup disk. If you’re not sure where it is, you can use the Finder to search for it.
2. Once you’ve found your backup disk, connect it to your Mac and open Time Machine.
3. Select the Restore from Backup option, then choose the most recent backup from the list.
4. Finally, click Restore and wait for the process to finish.
How to troubleshoot wiping your Macbook
If you have decided to wipe your Macbook, there are a few things you should do first in order to ensure that the process goes smoothly. Here are a few troubleshooting tips:
-Make sure you have a backup of all your important files. Wiping your Macbook will erase everything on the hard drive, so it is critical that you have a backup of any files you do not want to lose.
-Check to see if there are any updates for your operating system. It is Always best to wipe your Macbook with the most recent version of the operating system installed. This will help ensure that the process goes smoothly and reduces the chances of any errors occurring.
-Free up as much space on your hard drive as possible. The more space you have available, the faster and more efficient the wiping process will be. You can do this by deleting any unnecessary files or programs that you no longer use.
-Disable any security features that may be enabled on your Macbook. This includes things like the built-in firewall and anti-virus software. These security features can interfere with the wiping process and cause errors.
How do I wipe my MacBook and start over?
If you want to start from scratch with a new OS X installation, or you want to sell your MacBook, you need to wipe it first. Here’s how:
1. Back up your data. You need to make sure all your important files are safe before you proceed.
2. Boot into Recovery Mode. This is a special mode that allows you to troubleshoot your Mac, and it’s where you’ll erase your hard drive.
3. Select Disk Utility. Once in Recovery Mode, open Disk Utility from the Utilities drop-down menu.
4. Select the hard drive you want to erase. Choose the right drive if you have multiple disks connected to your Mac—you don’t want to erase the wrong one!
5. Click on Erase. This will format your hard drive and prepare it for a clean install of OS X.
6. Quit Disk Utility when finished. You can now proceed with installing OS X or restoring from a backup
If you want to delete everything on your MacBook and start from scratch, you can do a clean install of macOS. This will erase all your data, so make sure you have backups. You can also use Recovery Mode to reinstall macOS without losing any data.